Top 100 Ski Areas World Wide
Christoph Schrahe has published the 'List of the world's largest ski areas' since 2012/13. In the first winter, the 50 largest resorts were included, increasing to 75 in 2013/14 and to 100 in the winter of 2014/15, by the categories below:
- Vertical transport capacity: 9.5 million vertical transport meters per hour were necessary in 2014/15 to be entered into the world’s top 100.
- Total length of runs: 78 km of runs was the number to achieve in order to join the top 100 in 2014/15.
- Total boundary area: 10 square kilometers was the minimum size a ski area has to cover in order to be among the top 100 worldwide.
- Number of lifts: 23 lifts (excluding magic carpets) were the minimum for entering the top 100 in this category.
- Skiable vertical drop: An uninterrupted descent covering at least 1,300 vertical meters lead to a Top 100 position in 2014/15.
- Skier visits: 600,000 skier visits ore more were necessary to rank among the Top 100.
The 49 page report for the 2014/15 season also includes the vertical metres of additional runs in the Top 100 skiing resorts. The cultural differences between the ski resorts in various countries that are unveiled by various statictics have been another interesting addition to the third edition. A list of the highest resorts in the world and a listing of ski resorts with various skiing areas are included. The report concludes with a comparison of key parameters: Transport capacity per km of runs, length of runs per square km within the ski area boundary, or skier visits per 1 mio vertical transport metres. The resorts with the highest capacities of all major skiing countries are also included.
The report for the 2015/16 season will be published in November 2015. Thanks to various ski area interconnections that will be inaugurated with the start of the new winter the listings of the world's largest ski areas will change a lot compared to the previous winter. New features in the 2015/16 edition will include information about the total length of runs for ski regions (e.g. Zillertal, Dolomiti Superski, Gstaad-Saanenland, Portes du Soleil).
The report can be ordered for 99,- Euro (ex VAT). Please click here.